Nyasaland

Ref: G4479
  • £45.00

1951 cover used internally to Mzuzu with a 1d cancelled by the scarce EKWENDENI 7 SEP 51 canceller. Situated in the Northern District of Nyasaland, this village is 12 miles from Mzuzu and 180 miles from Lilongwe. In 1889 Walter Angus Elmslie, a Scottish Missionary opened a mission station there. It has one of the oldest churches in Nyasaland belonging to their equivalent of the Church of Scotland. The hospital began in the 1890s as a ministry of the Free Church of Scotland. A very seldom seen cancellation.